Sunday, January 14, 2007

Redrock Canyon Grill, Gaithersburg, Maryland

I was skeptical when I went to the Redrock Canyon Grill in Gaithersburg, Maryland for my sister’s birthday. I had glanced at the menu on-line and thought this was just another barbeque franchise. However, the choice was not mine to make, so we loaded up and prayed for good traffic on the beltway. It was certainly worth the drive.

The service at the Grill was excellent. Our waitress, Jackie, had a great sense of timing and was unfazed by our side table of children. We were promptly brought drinks and found an enjoyable wine from their primarily moderately priced wine list. The team member who delivered our drinks explained that although Jackie was our waitress, Redrock embraces the team approach to serving their guests. I wish more restaurants had this cooperative approach.

The crab dip appetizer changed my ordering decisions. With such big chunks of crabmeat, I was willing to bet the crabcakes would be equally meaty. I was grateful that I could order a single crabcake instead of the whole platter since I didn’t bring a sufficient appetite for many of their entrees. I wished I had been less conservative. I love big lumps of crabmeat.

There is nothing run of the mill about the salad dressings at the Grill either. If you are strictly a ranch or French dressing eater, then this is not your restaurant. The uniqueness of the dressings required that Jackie recite the options of few time. She did so in great detail with unflagging enthusiasm. I chose the balsamic blue cheese and found it quite tasty. The croutons were made from their sweet and spicy cornbread. The spiced pecans were another treat among the greens.

Others in my party enjoyed the ribs, rotisserie chicken, steak and rockfish. The thick juicy burgers at the kids table were also alluring. The shoestring fries were not a big hit with the kids, although I found it difficult to stop snitching them. The mashed potatoes on the adult plates were flavorsome with a hint of Rosemary.

I was truly sorry to be so full when Jackie described the desserts. My nephew ordered the monstrous “Something Chocolate” that were all able to sample and still leave plenty for him. I was most intrigued by the bourbon pineapple upside-down cake, and I bet the key lime pie would be terrific too with its pecan walnut crust.

My kids decreed that we should return to this restaurant located in an attractive shopping center by a pond and fountain. We immediately began thinking of our upcoming events. I will definitely return the Redrock.

No comments: