Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Grace's Fortune Bowie, Maryland

I ate dinner last Sunday night at Grace's Fortune in Bowie, Maryland. It appeared as if many in my hometown were in need of something different from Thanksgiving leftovers and perhaps too weary from travel to cook at home. The place was packed.

Grace's is one of the prettiest restaurants in town. The tables are set up so that you don't feel packed in with all the other diners. The zen-like décor of the entrance helps you break away from the shopping center location.

I also appreciate the better than average customer service of the waitstaff. So many restaurants in my hometown are mid-priced franchises with teenage servers. I was once a teenage waitress, so I am one of the most understanding diners around. But it was so nice to have water brought without requesting it, the cloth napkin placed in my lap for me, the hot tea poured for me, a “quarter call” to check on our dinner, and the dirty dished whisked away instead of stacking up. The hot hand towels before and after the meal are so comforting. I am always tempted to wash my whole face in that steamy treat. Too bad I didn't catch the waiter's name.

My daughters and I were not feeling adventurous in our menu selection and chose some basics: won ton soup, steamed dumplings, crispy beef, honey chicken, and chicken lo mein. My favorite were the dumplings. There was none of the lo mein left at the end of the meal either. I'm not a fan of the crispy beef. I think it is too chewy, but my teenage daughter is a fan. I normally avoid the fried foods, but the honey chicken was so crisp and sweet I ate several pieces like dessert.

No comments: