Thursday, November 16, 2006

Rip's Country Inn

The special last Wednesday at Rip's Country Inn in Bowie, Maryland was a 5 oz. broiled lump crabcake. Wow was it delicious! I love it when a crabcake has so many lumps of meat and so little breading that it barely holds together. My mouth is watering just thinking of it.

I hadn't eaten at Rip's for dinner in a long time. This town has sprung up with just about every franchise restaurant you can imagine, and I have been trying them out. It is like this town was starving and no one has time to cook. But originals almost always beat copies. When I was a little girl in this town (not 60 years ago, but 35) Rips was one of the only restaurant choices. There were a few others. The only other oldie still in operation is The Golden Pavilion which I'll have to write about soon.

Whenever I walk into Rip's, I feel like I'm walking into a stable. It is rustic and dark with low ceilings. The rows of booths are decorated like a tack room. It's nice that there are still places in this town that remember what put Bowie on the map in the first place: horses. This old inn has been around for 60 years. They also have a liquor store with a pretty good sized wine collection, a deli that makes terrific sandwiches, private banquet rooms, and an old fashioned motel that still uses real metal door keys.

My dining companion chose the Swiss steak special that seemed so tender it was more like a pot roast. And when was the last time you saw stewed tomatoes or Harvard beets on the list of standard side dishes? Their wine list looked inviting, but I had to opt out. With the wine selection in their adjoining liquor store, I imagine they have a great selection for the restaurant. I didn't have time for dessert, but the fudge, coconut, pecan pie looked too good to be true.

Our server was friendly and efficient. We were watching the clock and she brought us in right on the nose. I wish I had caught her name. I'll have to go back and ask if she doesn't introduce herself in a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.